Sleep plays a crucial role in not just humans, but in all advanced life on earth as we know it.
Getting too little sleep can result in a host of adverse symptoms related to hormones, exercise performance, brain function, and even weight gain.
On the other hand, getting enough sleep has been shown to benefit pretty much everything – improved appetite regulation, exercise performance, and cognition to name just a few things.
Ways to improve sleep quality
- Exercise regularly
- Increase bright light exposure during the day
- Restrict blue light exposure 2 hours before bed
- Restrict caffeine intake 6 hours before bed
- Go to bed and wake up at the same times every day
- Avoid irregular and/or excessively long naps
- Avoid excessive alcohol intake
- Take a melatonin supplement